The Japanese cement industry actual production of cement in the year 1875. In April 2017, the cement industry production 30 plants owned by 17 companies, with a production capacity of 55 million tonnes.
Cement plants are located in and around Japan. There are some particular plants, however, in the Yamaguchi Prefecture (4 plants) and Kyushu region (6 plants), both areas known for their rich limestone cement resources, and the Kanto district (6 plants).
At present, there are large-scale plants with an annual production capacity of over 6 million tonnes. Furthermore, production capacity per plant stands at around approximate 1.8 million tonnes.
Top Cement Companies of Japan with No. Of Plants
|Sr.No.||Japan Cement Company Plant||No. of Plant|
|1||Taiheiyo Cement Corporation||10|
|2||Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co, Ltd.||5|
|3||Mitsubishi Materials Corporation||4|
|4||Ube-Mitsubishi Cement Corporation||2|
|5||Aso Cement Co, Ltd.||2|
|6||Nippon Steel & Sumimoto Metal Corporation||2|
|7||Hitachi Cement Co, Ltd||1|
|8||Ryukyu Cement Co, Ltd||1|
|10||Denka Company Ltd||1|
Also Read: Top Cement Companies in South Africa
List of Japan Cement Association Member Companies
|Sr. No.||JCA Member Companies Name||Website|
|1||Aso Cement Co., Ltd.||http://www.aso-cement.jp/|
|2||DC Co., Ltd.||www.dccorp.jp|
|3||Denka Company Limited||www.denka.co.jp|
|4||Hachinohe Cement Co., Ltd.||www.hachi-ceme.jp|
|5||Hitachi Cement Co., Ltd.||www.hitachi-cement.co.jp|
|6||Kanda Cement Co., Ltd.||www.aso-cement.jp|
|7||Mitsubishi Materials Corporation||www.mmc.co.jp|
|8||Myojo Cement Co., Ltd.||www.myojyo-cement.co.jp|
|9||Nippon Steel Blast Furnace Slag Cement Co., Ltd.||www.kourocement.co.jp|
|10||Nippon Steel Cement Co., Ltd.||www.ns-cement.nssmc.com|
|11||Ryukyu Cement Co., Ltd.||www.ryukyucement.co.jp|
|12||Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd.||www.soc.co.jp|
|13||Taiheiyo Cement Corporation||www.taiheiyo-cement.co.jp|
|16||Tsuruga Cement Co., Ltd.||www.tsuruga-cement.co.jp|
|17||Ube Industries, Ltd.||www.ube-ind.co.jp|
Cement Production in Japan
|Cement Production (Month-Year)||Thousands of Tonnes|
Also Read: Top 10 Cement Companies in China
Top 5 Cement Companies as Per Revenue
|Cement Company Name||Revenue|
|Aso Cement||15.21 Billion Yen|
|Mitsubishi Materials Corporation||1,485.1 Billion Yen|
|Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd||157 Billion Yen|
|Taiheiyo Cement Corporation||863.9 Billion Yen|
|Tsuruga Cement Co., Ltd.||11.5 Billion Yen|
Also Read: Top 10 Cement Companies in New-Zealand
Best Cement Companies as per Revenue in Japan
Here, is a list of Best Cement Company in the Japan.
Best Brands of Cement Company
|Rating As Per Revenue|
|1||Aso Cement||1.00 ⭐|
|2||Mitsubishi Materials Corporation||2.00 ⭐|
|3||Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd||3.00 ⭐|
|4||Taiheiyo Cement Corporation||4.00 ⭐|
|5||Tsuruga Cement Co., Ltd.||5.00 ⭐|
Top 10 Cement Companies in Japan
- Aso Cement
- Denka Company
- Hachinohe Cement Co., Ltd.
- Hitachi Cement Co., Ltd.
- Mitsubishi Materials Corporation
- Nippon Steel Blast Furnace Slag Cement Co., Ltd.
- Ryukyu Cement Co., Ltd.
- Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd.
- Taiheiyo Cement Corporation
- Tsuruga Cement Co., Ltd.
1. Aso Cement
Aso Cement is committed to offering our customers the best in innovative materials and reliable products and services, benefiting from the knowledge gained from over 140 years within Aso Group.
Building reliability in people’s lives, Aso Cement is committed to offering our customers the best in innovative materials and reliable products and services.
Building reliability in people’s lives, Aso Group responds to society’s demand for new infrastructure.
|Head Office||AI building11F, 2-4-27 Momochihama, Sawara-ku, Fukuoka, Japan, 814-0001
Tel : +81-92-833-5100, Fax : +81-92-833-5116
|Incorporated||August 1st, 2001|
|Capital stock||100 Million Yen|
|Shareholders||Aso Group : 95%, LafargeHolcim: 5%|
|Employee||183 (December, 2020)|
|Sales in 2020||15,206 Million Yen|
Also Read: Top 10 Cement Companies in Finland
2. Denka Company
Since its founding in 1915, Denka has worked to contribute to social development and win the trust of society through manufacturing operations centered on chemical engineering.
In 2015, our centennial year, we established the “The Denka Principles” to determine our fundamental stance for business conduct, basic precepts that should be always referred to by employees, and the way we relate to society.
And 2016, we have established the corporate philosophy “The Denka Value”. It consists of the “The Denka Mission” and “The Denka Principles”. Taking a forward-thinking approach, we will act in line with our goal of helping to create a better society while maintaining the trust of our stakeholders.
The Denka Value consists of the Denka Mission, which represents our uppermost mission statement, and the Denka Principles, a set of precepts guiding actions taken by every Group employee.
|Headquarters||Chuo City, Tokyo, Japan|
|CEO||Manabu Yamamoto (1 Apr 2017–)|
|Founded||1 May 1915|
|5,944 (consolidated, as of March 31, 2018)|
|Head Office||Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower,1-1,Nihonbashi-Muromachi 2-chome,Chuo-ku,Tokyo 103-8338,JAPAN|
3. Hachinohe Cement Co., Ltd.
Hachinohe Cement Co., Ltd. was founded in 1977. The company’s line of business includes the manufacturing of hydraulic cement.
Find detailed information on Manufacturing companies in Hachinohe, Aomori, Japan, including financial statements, sales and marketing contacts, top competitors, and firmographic insights. Dun & Bradstreet gathers Manufacturing business information from trusted sources to help you understand company performance, growth potential, and competitive pressures.
A tremendous quantity of earthquake disaster debris and tsunami sediment was resulted by the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11, 2011.
Hachinohe Cement Co., Ltd., a Sumitomo Osaka Cement subsidiary, was the first cement industry company to receive and process such waste materials outside of their usual prefecture area, while the company is performing their treatment and recycling services locally in Hachinohe City and Aomori Prefecture.
This report provides an explanation about the recycling mechanism of waste materials and by-products in cement manufacturing process, and introduces an example of actual achievements for the disaster debris treatment by utilizing the cement recycling technologies at the Hachinohe Cement Plant.
|Head Office||7-1, Shimotakamachiba, Niida Hachinohe, 031-0813 Japan|
|Annual Production||1.45 million tonnes of cement (2005)|
Manufacturing Plants in Japan
|Sr. No.||Manufacturing Plants|
|1||PRIFOODS CO., LTD.|
|2||KITANIHON SHIPBUILDING CO.,LTD.|
|4||HACHINOHE SMELTING CO.,LTD.|
|5||HACHIKAN, CO., LTD.|
|6||TOHOKU YOKI INDUSTRIES CO.,LTD|
|7||MARUYO FISHERS CO.,LTD.|
|8||EPSON ATMIX CORPORATION|
|9||HACHINOHE CEMENT CO.,LTD.|
|10||SHIN HOKURYO FOREST PRODUCT CO., LTD.|
|11||KOSHUHA FOUNDRY CO., LTD.|
|12||TAMAGAWA HIGH TECH K.K.|
|13||HACHINOHE KANZUME K.K.|
|14||M P M OPERATION K.K.|
|15||SENSA KOGYO K.K.|
|16||TOHOKU MORI SHIGYO CO., LTD.|
|17||HACHINOHE TOYO KAISHA, LTD.|
|18||HACHINOHE KYOWA SUISAN K.K.|
|19||MARUTO REIZO CO.,LTD.|
|21||YAMATSU YACHI SHOTEN, K.K.|
|23||ANDES ELECTRIC CO.,LTD.|
|24||YAMAYO, CO., LTD.|
|25||TAKEWA SUISAN CO.,LTD.|
Also Read: Top Cement Companies in Canada
4. Hitachi Cement Co., Ltd.
Our history began in 1907 when Mr. Kiyohide Seki (from Saga Prefecture) established and operated the Eskawa Cement Works in Eskawa Village, Taga County (heiwa-cho, Hitachi City, where we are today).
In 1947, Masao Oki inherited the business and became president in 1950, and in 1953 the company name was Hitachi Cement.
Currently, we are developing cement and solidified materials manufacturing and sales business, environmental business (intermediate treatment of industrial waste and recycling of food waste), real estate business, engineering business, etc.
Cement is an indispensable product for disaster prevention and mitigation, national resilience, and social capital development, and we will strive to provide stable supply and further improve technical services, the contributing to the creation of a society where the safety and security of the people are protected.
In addition, we will contribute to the creation of an environmental recycling-based society through recycling of food waste and biomass power generation at the Kamitsa Resource Recycling Center (Tsuchiura City, Ibaraki Prefecture).
We will maintain the trust of our stakeholders and aim for corporate growth and development by thoroughly implementing compliance management and promoting business activities that contribute to local communities.
|Head Office||6-8 Higashinakanukimachi, Tsuchiura-shi, Ibaraki-ken 300-0006|
|Main No||81 29 8323300|
Also Read: Top 10 Cement Companies in Australia
5. Mitsubishi Materials Corporation
The original starting point for the company known today as Mitsubishi Materials was as the mining business of Tsukumo Shokai, the roots of the Mitsubishi Group. For nearly 140 years, the company has grown, developing its activities along with the modernization of Japan. Mitsubishi Materials joins the companies of the Mitsubishi Group in striving to contribute to the creation of a comfortable global community in the 21st century.
The corporate history of the Mitsubishi Group mirrors the modernization of Japan that began with the Meiji Restoration in 1868. The man who laid the cornerstone of the Group in this era was founder Yataro Iwasaki. It was Yataro who, in 1870, established Tsukumo Shokai, a shipping company, and aggressively invested in coal and mineral mining, which grew into a key pillar of operations for Mitsubishi.
- 1871- Tsukumo Shokai, precursor to Mitsubishi Shokai, leases a coal mine from the Shingu clan in Kishu, and enters the mining business.
- 1873- Mitsubishi Shokai, precursor to Mitsubishi Goshi Kaisha, acquires the Yoshioka Mine in Okayama Prefecture, and enters the precious metals mining business.
- 1893- Mitsubishi Goshi Kaisha is established.
- 1896- Buys a refinery in Osaka from the goverment and enters the metal refining business.
- 1917- Establishes the Mining Research Institute, now the Central Research Institute. Establishes the Naoshima Smelter & Refinery.
|Head Office:||3-2-3, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8117 Japan|
|Date of Establishment||1950|
|Paid-in Capital||119.4 Billion yen (As of March 31, 2021)|
|Net Sales||Consolidated: 1,485.1 Billion yen|
|Number of Employees||Consolidated: 27,162;|
6. Nippon Steel Blast Furnace Slag Cement Co., Ltd.
NIPPON STEEL CEMENT Co., Ltd. was founded through a joint capital investment by Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation and Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd. in June of 1954.
It mainly produces and merchandises Portland cement, blast-furnace slag cement (which utilizes blast-furnace slag secondary produced from an iron foundry), and other standard cements.
In other specialized fields, NIPPON STEEL CEMENT has produced cementitious materials such as grouting materials, geocement and high strength materials, utilizing the characteristics of blast-furnace slag, and has responded to the varied demand of users.
A variety of NIPPON STEEL CEMENT products have been used in the construction of large-sized dams, bridges and tunnels. Our technology and quality has been highly evaluated, and we have established a position as a promising middle-sized manufacturer.
Furthermore, the Muroran plant has gained the registration certificate of ISO9001 in March 2003, because of its excellent quality assurance. Daily efforts are made to improve the performance of our products.
|Head Office||2-6-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8071, Japan|
|Business||Steelmaking and steel fabrication / Engineering / Chemicals / New materials / System solutions|
|Fiscal Year End||Mar-31|
|Stock Listings||Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sapporo|
Also Read: Top 10 Cement Companies in France
7. Ryukyu Cement Co., Ltd.
RYUKYU CEMENT CO., LTD. mainly produces and sells cement and cement products. The Company also mines limestones and sells construction materials.
In September 1969, we were born as the only cement manufacturing company in the prefecture, and we have been playing a part in the development of okinawa’s social infrastructure for more than 50 years since the first shipment of cement in 1965.
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all of you for your continued support and cooperation.
Based on the management philosophy of “creating the local area with local resources”, we will strive to further strengthen the resource recycling business and aim to be an indispensable company in Okinawa.
In addition, we will contribute to the achievement of the SDGs and achieve both a sustainable society and the growth of the company. We will continue to work together as a whole, so we look forward to your guidance and patronage.
|Head Office||2-2-2 Irijima Urazoe Okinawa Japan|
8. Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd.
Here we would like to introduce the Cement-Related Products Division of Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co.,Ltd.
The division’s high-performance products support the functions of modern towns and cities. With “Vigor to the community, comfort to the people” as the theme, our company is committed to building new communities and creating a better living environment. To this end, we have developed various construction materials and cement products. These construction materials and cement-related products are used in the development of comfortable towns and cities.
Sumitomo Cement Co., Ltd
- Nov. 1907 Founded as Iwaki Cement Co.,Ltd.
- Nov. 1949 Starts production and sale of ready-mixed concrete; first company in Japan to do so.
- Jul. 1954 Constructs Hamamatsu Plant which employs a large Lepol-type kiln for the first time in Japan.
- Oct. 1963 Company renamed Sumitomo Cement Co., Ltd.
- Apr. 1980 Founds Far East Cement Corporation jointly with
local industrial players.
- Jun. 1994 Tie-up with Phinma Group of the Philippines. (Equity participation in Davao Union Cement Corporation.)
Osaka Cement Co., Ltd
- Oct. 1916 Company becomes Cement Division of Osaka Yogyo Co,. Ltd. (a corporation founded in 1882).
- Dec. 1926 Osaka Yogyo Cement Co., Ltd. founded.
- Nov. 1963 Company renamed Osaka Cement Co., Ltd.
Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd
- Oct. 1994 Sumitomo Cement and Osaka Cement merge into Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co., Ltd.
- Apr. 1997 Non-utility power generation equipment (output: 100,000 kW)put into operation at Ako Plant.
- Sep. 1997 Certified ISO 9002 for company’s all 6 cement plants.
- Nov. 1999 Tie-up with Ube Mitsubishi Cement Corporation in the cement distribution.
- Jul. 2001 Relocate Head Office to 6-28, Rokubancho, Chiyoda-ku, TOKYO
- Nov. 2002 Nano-Tera Laboratory have been completed.
- Apr. 2005 Shanghai Representative Office have been established.
- Jun. 2006 Introduce of Executive Officer System.
- Sep. 2007 Capital participation into Yunnan Kungang & K.Wah Cement Construction Materials Co., Ltd.
- Nov.2007 Sumitomo Osaka Cement cerebrates the 100th anniversary of business operations.
- Feb. 2009 Non-utility biomass power generation equipment (output:25.000kW) Put into operation at Tochigi Plant.
- Nov. 2012 Lithium iron phosphate as a cathode material for use in lithium-ion batteries production factory was established in North Vietnam.
- Sep. 2015 Facilities at the Hachinohe Port for sorting ordinary incinerator ash have been completed.
- Apr. 2019 Large silo for cement storage at Kochi Plant have been completed.
|Headquarters||6-28, Rokubancho, Chiyoda-ku, TOKYO,102-8465, Japan|
|Capital||41.6 billion yen|
|Number of Employees||1,186 (Consolidated:2,974) (As of March 31, 2019)|
|Net Sales||157 (Consolidated:251) billion yen (Year ended March 31, 2019)|
Also Read: Top 10 Cement Companies in USA
9. Taiheiyo Cement Corporation
Aspiring to be a leader in our industry in the Pacific Rim, the Taiheiyo Cement Group operates globally, focusing on cement, mineral resources, environmental, and international businesses.
We are committed to helping protect the environment and advancing a socioeconomic order build on closed loop materials sourcing by putting our cement plants and home-grown recycling capabilities and technologies to work to reduce, recycle, and reuse large volumes of waste material and by-products.
- 1881- Cement Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (later named Onoda Cement Co., Ltd.) established
- 1883- Cement plant (later to become Nihon Cement Co., Ltd.) leased from the nationally run Fukagawa Works
- 1915- The current Kamiiso Plant acquired through a merger
- 1923- Chichibu Cement Co., Ltd. established
- 1932- Fujiwara Plant completed
- 1938- Tsukumi Plant (currently Oita Plant) acquired through a merger
- 1939- Saeki Plant (currently Oita Plant) acquired through a merger
- 1940- Tosa Plant (currently Tosa office) acquired through a merger
- 1949- Stock listed
- 1955- Saitama Plant completed
- 1962- Kumagaya Plant completed
- 1972- All stock of Myojo Cement Co., Ltd., acquired
- 1989- Dalian Huaneng-Onoda Cement Co., Ltd., (currently Dalian Onoda Cement Co., Ltd.) established in China
- 1990- U.S.-based California Portland Cement Company (currently CalPortland Company) purchased
- 1993- Jiangnan Onoda Cement Co., Ltd. established in China
- 1994- Onoda Cement Co., Ltd., and Chichibu Cement Co., Ltd., merged, forming Chichibu Onoda Cement Corporation
- 1995- Nghi Son Cement Corporation established in Vietnam
- 1998- Chichibu Onoda Cement Corporation and Nihon Cement Co., Ltd., merged, forming Taiheiyo Cement Corporation
- 2001- Sales of Ecocement commenced Business recycling municipal waste incineration ash (Ash Washing System) started
- 2002- Cement Industry Voluntary Action Plan for Sustainable Development launched Operation of the Applied Kiln (AK) System commenced
- 2004- Management and organizational reforms made and an in-house company system adopted
- 2008- 10 Medium-Term Management Plan established2009Companywide ISO 14001 integrated certification registered Head office relocated to Daiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo2020Head office relocated to Koishikawa, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo.
|Head office||BUNKYO GARDEN GATE TOWER, 1-1-1, Koishikawa, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8503, Japan|
|Paid-in capital||¥86.2 billion|
|Net sales||Consolidated: ¥863.9 billion Non-consolidated: ¥295.3 billion (Fiscal year ended March 31, 2021)|
|Number of employees||1,838（as of March 31, 2021)|
|Production sites||Nine in Japan, three in the U.S.,two in China,one in Vietnam, one in the Philippines, and one in Papua New Guinea.|
|Business segments||Cement, mineral resources, environmental, construction materials, and other businesses|
10. Tsuruga Cement Co., Ltd.
Total domestic cement demand in 2020 was 38,670 thousand tons (94.4% of the previous year), falling below the previous year’s level for the second consecutive year, the lowest level in 54 years since 1966, and the highest ever recorded in 1990 during the bubble period.
It was less than half of 86,286 thousand tons. After the Lehman shock, we have kept the 40 million tons level for 11 years since we broke below 50 million tons and rushed to the 40 million tons level in fiscal 2009, but we have finally reached the 30 million tons level.
It is probable that private capital investment fell due to the impact of the new coronavirus, and that construction work was delayed due to unseasonable summer weather. Exports were 11,112 thousand tons (105.5% of the previous year), surpassing the previous year’s results for the second consecutive year.
The demand trend of our shipping area by prefecture was 89.3% in Kyoto prefecture and 100.6% in Shiga prefecture, which was about the same as the previous year. The local Fukui prefecture fell sharply from the previous year to 78.6% year-on-year. In recent years, there have been special demands such as the Tsuruga extension work for the Hokuriku Shinkansen and the safety measures work for nuclear power generation, which is thought to be due to the reaction.
In FY2021, despite the impact of the coronavirus nationwide, capital investment is expected to gradually increase mainly in warehouses and logistics facilities due to private demand, as well as urban redevelopment work and the Linear Chuo Shinkansen. Due to demand, etc., it is expected to exceed the level in FY2020. However, we believe that Fukui, which is located here, will be in the off-season of demand and will fall below the previous year’s level.
- 1935- Tsuruga Cement Co., Ltd. established
- 1937- Tsuruga Plant started operations.
- 1941- Merged with Iwaki Cement based on the Corporate Development Act
- 1948- In response to the application of the Centralized Exclusion Act, it was separated and independent from the company and was established as Tsuruga Cement again.
- 1974- No. 6 Kiln (NSP) was added (currently No. 1 Kiln)
- 1976- Partnered with Chichibu Cement Co., Ltd.
- 1980- No.2 Kiln (NSP) was added.
- 1988- Tsuruga Plant new quay completed (depth 10-14m extension 530m)
- 1990- Launched the Atsuwa Maru, a limestone-only ship.
- 1994- Partner Chichibu Cement Co., Ltd. merged with Onoda Cement Co., Ltd., and Chichibu Onoda Co., Ltd. was established and started a partnership with the company.
- 1995- Shin-Ishiyama Mine (Gifu Prefecture) commenced operations.
- 1998- Tsuruga Plant ISO9002 certified Partner Chichibu Onoda Co., Ltd. merged with Nippon Cement Co., Ltd., taiheiyo Cement Co., Ltd. was established and started a partnership with the company.
- 1999- Head office moved to Tsuruga City, Fukui Prefecture.
- 2001- Tsuruga Plant acquired ISO14001 certification
- 2002- Tsuruga Material Center (TMC) completed, shifting to Tsuruga Plant ISO9001 (2000 version)
- 2004- Materials Division was established.
- 2006- New construction of a new building that accepts waste plastic
- 2009- Completion of SFPC manufacturing and shipping facilities Shifted to Tsuruga Plant ISO9001 (2008 version)
- 2012- New 1000t clinker silo
- 2013- Certified as eco-lead master system by Hokuriku Bank
- 2015- 80th Anniversary Factory Main Gate Relocated
- 2016- Received syndicated loans based on environmental ratings from the Development Bank of Japan and Hokuriku Bank
- 2017- Health and Productivity Management Excellent Corporation 2017 Certified New No. 1 LLC Completed Limestone Dedicated Ship “10,400t Product”
- 2018- Certified as a health and productivity management excellent corporation 2018
|Capital||1.05 billion yen|
|Sales scale||11.5 billion yen (consolidated sales for the fiscal year ending March 2021)|
|number of employees||238 people|
|President and CEO||Gaku Yamamoto|
|main office||914-8686 2-6-1, Shimizu, Tsuruga-shi|
Like this post? Share it with your friends!
Suggested Read –